Mission, a View to the Horizon, Values, Goals
UNM’s statement of mission articulates our highest purposes for existing:
The mission of the University of New Mexico is to serve as New Mexico’s flagship institution of higher learning through demonstrated and growing excellence in teaching, research, patient care and community service.
UNM’s ongoing commitment serves to :
- Educate and encourage students to develop the values, habits of mind, knowledge, and skills that they need to be enlightened citizens, contribute to the state and national economies, and lead satisfying lives.
- Discover and disseminate new knowledge and creative endeavors that will enhance the overall well-being of society.
- Deliver health care of the highest quality to all who depend on us to keep them healthy or restore them to wellness.
- Actively support social, cultural, and economic development in our communities to enhance the quality of life for all New Mexicans.
A View to the Horizon
Students: The Lobo Experience
Mass Customization for Student Success
Renowned Honors College & Superior Degree Programs
Networks for Academic, Civic, Professional and Social Engagement
Culturally Dynamic and Inclusive Environment
Compelling Motivation to be on Campus
Leadership and Governance
Trusting and Informed Partnership between Leadership
Dynamic, Diverse and Effective Leadership
Highly Effective Distributed University System
Teaching and Learning
Committed to Lifelong Learning
Innovative and Diverse
Discovery and Innovation
Leader in Interdisciplinary Teaching and Research
Superb Research Infrastructure to Enable Discovery, Innovation and Technology Transfer
Double Grants and Contracts as Compared to 2012
Market Position and Brand
Destination University Recognized & Sought by Students & Faculty
Effective/Programmatic Brand Management
Culture of Integrity
Culture of Social Responsibility
Culture of Mutual Respect
Culture of Innovation
Faculty and Staff
Balanced Quality of Life for Faculty and Staff
High Level of Staff and Faculty Cooperation
Recognition and Compensation Programs Linked to Outcomes
Integrated HSC Academic & Service Model
National Model for Public Health and Care of Diverse Populations
Premier Health Care Choice for NM
Top 50 Academic Health Science Center in total Research Funding
Robust Public/Private Relationships for Economic Development
Strong Relationships with other Educational Institutions
Multi-disciplinary Partnerships among Arts & Sciences
Infrastructure and Financial Performance
Aligned Resources and Values
High Performance Infrastructure
UNM’s values describe the “evergreen” principles that guide our decisions, actions, and behaviors. These are essential and enduring tenets, not to be compromised for short-term expediency. By stating these values publicly, we are openly committing to upholding them and to be held accountable accordingly.
Excellence demonstrated by our people, programs, and outcomes, as well as by the quality of our decisions and actions.
Access with Support to Succeed that gives all who desire the opportunity to take full advantage of the wealth of resources at UNM and to be fully included in the UNM community.
Integrity that holds us accountable to our students, the community, and all who serve UNM’s mission, to manage our resources wisely and keep our promises.
Diversity that enlivens and strengthens our university, our community, and our society.
Respectful Relationships that build trust, inspire collaboration, and ensure the teamwork that is essential to UNM’s success.
Freedom of speech, inquiry, pursuit of ideas, and creative activity.
Sustainability so that as we meet the needs of the present, we are not compromising the well being of future generations.
1. Become a Destination University
2. Prepare Lobos for Lifelong Success
3. Promote Institutional Citizenship
4. Enhance Health and Health Equity in New Mexico
5. Advance Discovery and Innovation
6. Ensure Financial Integrity & Strength
7. Advance and Accelerate Economic Development